Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Girls Camp

June 11-14
One of the perks of being a mia maid advisor is that I had to opportunity to go to girls camp. I felt a little out of place first because I had a really hard time leaving my family, when I left in the morning I still had no idea where my kids were going to be by noon because the sitter I had lined up (my wonderful sister) ended up with jury duty and I called my neighbor (superwoman Liz) to see if she could take them until noon because the last time my sister had jury duty she was released by noon we thought it would be about the same. Second I was still feeling a little new to be going with the girls almost that I didn't belong. In spite of being away from my kids not knowing what was going on with their care and out of cell phone range I was able to relax and have a great time. The girls were all so accepting and loving I almost felt like a teenager again ALMOST. It was so COLD we all had on at least two sweatshirts a coat and three pair of socks. with all the cold there was a lot less complaining than I thought there would be they must have kept warm with all the singing, dancing and uncontrollable laughter.
The first day was all about set up and certification I had forgotten how much they really make them do at girls camp but we did luck out on our chores because we had the bathrooms to clean on the first day and they were still clean. Day two started early for me, Susan(another leader)and the one and only third year girl we had a sunrise hike that started at 4:30am I didn't really need a wake up call because I never got to sleep IT WAS WAY TOO COLD. The hike was the best thing I could have done at that point because getting up and moving helped me to get warm infact it was the only time up that my toes were not cold when we were at camp it must have been the spirit.
It was a beautiful sight and it was nice to sit alone on the hillside in nature and just think. The rest of the day was packed with activites which inculded the zip line.
Now I am not a big whimp watching everyone go looked like a lot of fun and climbing up the tower was not a problem I just wished that I could have kept climbing because I don't like jumping. It might not have been a problem for me but the platform was really small and the board on the very edge was a little wobbly so I didn't jump off forward I couldn't watch I ended up pushing off backward and that might not have been a problem but I think I pushed a little hard and I ended up riding the zipline upside down the whole way down. It was fun and I didn't die. That night was our skit we did a spin off of the bacholer and the ten virgins I was hillarious. The girls came together so well and made sure everyone was included it was great to watch and be a part of. Later that night was the stargazing hike with the fourth year girls, I took my cell phone because it was the one place to get reception on the mountain. I knew how much I missed Tyler and the kids so I thought I was going to cry but I didn't and it made me feel much better because I found out that Liz had my kids for two days (they love her little girl) because my sister managed to get her self on the jury. It is really nice to know that I have such great friends that really come through when it really counts. Thanks so much Liz, when I found that out that was the only time I cried it helped me sleep alittle better at night too. Day three was a free day
and the girl wanted to try archery and the zipline again (oh joy!) the line for the zipline was so long because everyone wanted to do that again we made icecream in plastic bags while we were wating.
Yes I did it again the second time was not as hard but I still managed to get upside down, it must take more cordination to stay upright. That night at the fire was the testiomony sharing time the spirit was so strong that before we had even started the Bishop asked me to say the closing prayer and I just started to cry. I was honered that he would think I was worthy enough to do something so special as to close that meeting but part of me was crying because I knew I would be crying so hard at the end that no one would be able to understand me. Great now on top of bearing my testimony I have to try to keep it together until the end. Well it didn't happen but everyone said amen so at least they heared that part. I was so impressed with all the girls so willing to share their thoughts and feelings. Our leaders would have to start calling on people to say something or we would of had complete silence for a long time when I was in Young Womans but these girls were so excited about this experience that some of them even went twice (it was my mia maids by the way, so proud).
It was a great experience and I am so glad that I have a wonderful family and awesome friends that made this possible.

2 comments:

Yadira said...

Oh susan, your post has made me anxious to go to camp this year. Last year I was already a beehives advisor but could not go to camp cause I was sick but this year I'am totally going and I'am getting excited. It will be at the end of July. I bet you had a good experience.

zeebee said...

Wow, great post. I was wondering how camp went. Ah, the memories. Pleeease call me if you ever need a babysitter!!! Loved the sunset picture, wow. I have always wanted to do a zipline, that is so cool. You will be so great at this calling. And it's nice to have a break from the kids every once in a while.